Jaime is working on reconstructing the blog. It's really in need of something more appealing, now that the template designer can be used. Expect it to look a little--errmmm--out of place and strange for a while!

Sunday, April 25, 2010

The New Kitchen Floor and the Visit


In the middle of our chicken coup project, Mom and Dad decided that they would like to put new tile in our kitchen.  So for a few hours on Friday, we ripped off the old tile stuff.  Mainly me (Jaime) and Will, because Court had gone with Mom and Dad to the store.  Well, after me and Will had done most of the floor, I called Dad and told him jokingly to bring home icecream.  He just laughed and said that was funny.  

Well, Mom, Dad, and Court got home and they seemed surprised at how much we had done.  Then Dad said, "Jaime, we got something for you," and pulled out two tubs of icecream!  I gave him a huge bear hug and then Mom and Dad did the rest of the floor while me and Will sat on the counter eating icecream (the table had been taken apart and moved to the other room).  It felt kinda nice watching someone else work.  Plus, Will had driven a paint scraper into my finger and my hands were scratched up from the pieces of tile.

Then, on Saturday, our cousins came over, which was a COMPLETE surprise because they live in Delaware.  And we kids played the whole day--Rodney, Tyler, Will, and Court played with airsoft guns, me and Rebekah played baseball, and Trevor switched back and forth, mostly playing basketball with himself.  Taylor wasn't there--she had gone to play with some friends.  We kids also went for a bike ride, but some people had to ride on the pegs because we only had five bikes, and we had seven people.  And then on the way back I tried to get off the pegs and fell because my shoe lace was stuck.  But the bike was practically stopped, so it wasn't too bad.  Then, Aunt Beque and our cousins were waiting for friends to pick them up for a few hours.  Then, it was already 6:30, so we didn't get much done.  Mom and Dad managed to put this blue primer on the floor.  Then Annie tried to walk into the kitchen and Mom freaked, saying "I don't want blues clues all over the living room."  Mom and Dad also put concrete leveling stuff on the floor, but that's all.

And today, I woke up at about 8:30 or 9:00am to the sound of talking and pounding in the kitchen.  After a few minutes, Mom and Dad pop into the room and say "wake up, we got breakfast".  Then Dad starts waving a sausage egg mcmuffin in front of me--only it had no egg, because with the egg the sandwich cost $2.80 and without the egg it cost $1.00.  Breakfast was grand.  It was a nice change from having cereal for breakfast Friday, cereal for breakfast Saturday, no lunch, and cereal for dinner Saturday.

But then it took forever just to get one corner of the kitchen  tiled.  And then the tile cutter kept breaking the tiles rather than cutting them.  Then, the drills we were using to mix the mortar all died.  Then, we had to grind down several parts of the kitchen floor because it was uneven.  Then, the mortar dried!  So we had to throw away a ton of mortar and a bucket because the mortar was stuck to the bucket!  And when I say stuck, I mean stuck.  With all my strength, I couldn't pull the mixer out of it.

And now, we're going back to it.  Sorry I don't have any pictures, but Mom and Dad probably wouldn't want me to take any.  The job, with all the bad stuff listed above, was pretty unnerving.  =)
-Jaime-

1 comment:

One of the Wassenbergs said...

Sounds like you had fun! ;)

By the way, the other night we were about 2 minutes away from your house - but we didn't know that until the day after. Lexi was upset that she didn't get to see you when we were that close! :)

Kimber