Jaime is working on reconstructing the blog. It's really in need of something more appealing, now that the template designer can be used. Expect it to look a little--errmmm--out of place and strange for a while!

Sunday, July 27, 2008

TaeKwonDo and Black Belt Testing


Tae Kwon Do is a form of martial arts, as you may be able to tell from the name. We kids, me (Courtney), my brother Will, and Jaime, have been taking TKD classes for quite a while now. Will and I have been doing it for about 5 years now, and Jaime's been doing it for about 3 years. Our main instructor, Craig Simpson, has taught us many different things, such as: traditional Tae Kwon Do, grappling (similar to wrestling), boxing, and many other things as well. We've even learned a little bit of Hapkido with one of our other instructors, Cindy Wallow. We've not only learned about self defense and how to fight if need be, but also about many other great characteristics for everyday life such as: courtesy, integrity, perseverance, and self control. We couldn't have had a better instructor than Mr. Simpson or any of the other instructors there for that matter.

On July 25, last friday, Will and I tested for our black belts. Jaime tested for her red belt. The testing took about 3 hours, not exaggerating. It went from 6:30 to around 9 something. It was tiring but we managed. We had to do about 10 different forms, which are sets of different kicks, punches, blocks, and stances that you have to memorize. We got those down pretty easily. We also did some boxing and grappling, three steps, takedowns, and free sparring. We broke boards too. Will broke with a running elbow, jump spinning back kick, running jump fake side thrust kick, and a butterfly elbow. Jaime broke with a running jump fake front thrust kick. And finally, I broke with a jump fake spinning back kick, a jump fake front thrust kick, and a butterfly elbow. I was supposed to break another board with my other elbow, but instead of breaking the board I bruised my elbow lol.

Well finally when the testing was over, Will and I were rewarded new TKD suits, black belts, a certificate certifying that we had obtained our black belts, and a sword. Jaime was rewarded her red belt. In maybe 2 more years or at least a year, Jaime will probably be awarded a black belt as well. If your interested in knowing which Tae Kwon Do school we go to click this link taekwondoworks.biz.

Will and I also had to write about what becoming black belts meant to us. If your interested here's what we wrote:



What Becoming A Black Belt Means To Me
By Courtney Robinson


Tae Kwon Do has been great for me to learn. I've learned
self-confidence as well as perseverance and many other great
character traits. After five years of hard work, I will finally be testing for my black belt. The belt really means nothing. It's the accomplishment that really has meaning. Going for my black belt has been difficult, but that's what makes it worth it. If I could have gotten my black belt in just a few months, what would it have been worth? This concept could be compared to our spiritual lives as well. I mean to be a Christian is to go through hardships and persecution for Christ, but in the end we will get the prize if we don't give up. Never give up! If we go after something and don't give up, we can accomplish almost anything. This is what becoming a black belt means to me.



Why Getting My Black Belt Means Alot To Me By Will Robinson


Getting my black belt means alot to me for several different reasons. First of all, I feel good about the accomplishment of earning my black belt because I've persevered and haven't quit, and because it was alot of hard work to get there. Another reason getting my black belt means so much to me is because I've learned numerous things in Taekwondo such as balance, body coordination, and self control. The last reason getting my black belt means alot to me is because I've been training in Taekwondo for almost 5 years and I'm finally reaching my goal. Those are some of the reasons I'm excited to be getting my black belt.

Just in case your interested, here are some pictures from our testing. Most of them aren't very good because of all the action and lighting but........













-Courtney-


No comments: