Jaime is working on reconstructing the blog. It's really in need of something more appealing, now that the template designer can be used. Expect it to look a little--errmmm--out of place and strange for a while!

Friday, October 31, 2008

The Generous Coal Peddler's Reward (a narrative summary)

A true story I had to summarize for writing. I made a few minor changes just to make it a bit more interesting and so I could fit in a few things I needed to add. The writing program I do makes you think of interesting words and bans some words, such as said, thought and makes you use words like because, when, while, and words that end in ly such as excitedly and happily. Well, enjoy the story!



The Generous Coal Peddler's Reward
A narrative summary by Jaime Robinson
10/29-30/08



In Paris, France, there once lived a man named Jacquot, who sold charcoal to the wealthy people of the city. Although he labored very hard selling charcoal, he was still destitute. Lowly and poor, his house was only one room, but it was large enough for him and his family. He was a married man with two young sons, Charlot, the eldest, and Blondel. They were terribly poor in the city, but hard workers because of it. Managing to make enough money selling charcoal, Jacquot and his family got along fine day by day.


One day, when dinner was ready and the children hungry, Jacquot was very late arriving home. Being taught not to eat without their father, Charlot and Blondel waited impatiently. At the table, the children grumbled and complained, asking their mother, "When will father be home?" When the starving children were getting very upset, in walked Jacquot who was carrying a boy as wet as a sea sponge. Carefully, Jacquot laid the boy on one of the beds. Jacquot then explained, "I was on my way home and I saw this lad fall into the fountain near the park. I brought him to our house because I did not know where he lived. Now, quickly, give him some dry clothes and a bit to eat." They did as Jacquot had commanded, and soon after the boy awakened. "Where am I? Where am I?!" cried the boy. "You are at my home," answered Jacquot. When the boy ate some more, they heard a knock on the door. The door opened and some gentlemen walked in. "We have come to take Louis home," they declared.


When the gentlemen had declared why they were there, the unknown boy stood to make an announcment. "I am Louis the fourteenth, who is the king of France. Being so young, I do not actually rule France. At this time, my mother rules for me, but when I am older I shall take my place as king. Thank you very much for generously caring for me. Happily, I shall give you much money so you may be able to give your boys an education and buy a larger home because you have been so kind. Also, please pay me a visit at the palace one day. Now I must return to the palace." "Thank you very much for your generousity, my lord," answered Jacquot, as the little king returned to the palace, leaving his new friend, the coal peddler, in delightful surprise.



-Jaime Robinson-

No comments: