Jaime is working on reconstructing the blog. It's really in need of something more appealing, now that the template designer can be used. Expect it to look a little--errmmm--out of place and strange for a while!

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Roller Blading


Of the many things I enjoy doing, rollerblading is one of my favorites. My dad, who skates very well, taught me and Will to skate when we were only about 4 and 5 (Will's the younger of us two in case you didn't know), so now we both enjoy skating as well. Jaime was a late comer, and when she was about 7 or 8 maybe, possibly 6, Will and I showed her the basics and got her started. She picked it up very quickly and has improved a great deal over the years.

Once in a while we head over to the skating rink to rollerblade for an hour or two (sorry I don't watch the time). We usually go when our friends, the Wassenburgs and the Lockwoods go. We kids skate and talk, while the parents are content to just sit together and converse.

I love thinking when I skate, speeding around the rink with thoughts racing through my mind... Half the time I'm not even thinking about what I'm doing; I'm just......skating I guess.



Tips for Rollerbladers:

I know I'm not the best person to go to for tips, but I do have some experience on the subject.


Tip #1 Buckle skates are not the best skates to use, even for beginners. I advise you to skates with maybe a buckle and laces. They're usually better quality than the all buckle skates.

Don't get hockey skates unless you don't like making your ankles somewhat sore. They usually don't have much padding inside which can result in your getting blisters.

Also do not get skates that are almost completely made of plastic (they're bad quality and they can also give you blisters). Rather get skates with more material than plastic. AND MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT SIZE!!!

Tip #2 Wheels. If you prefer not to slip every five seconds, make sure to get rubber wheeled blades. Again, they are better quality. Trust me on this.

I used to have the worst skates with the worst wheels. The skates were practically all plastic, as well as the wheels. I slipped around all the time. I believe that the rubber wheels grip the floor a lot better than the plastic cheapies.

Tip #3 Posture. When skating, do not stand straight up, nor bend over too much. Rather slightly bend your knees and keep your arms close. No flailing! It really does help in keeping your balance.

Tip #4 Roller blades or roller skates? If your just starting, you might want to stick with roller blades. They're a lot easier to skate with especially when your just starting. Many people seem to think that roller skating is easier, but it really isn't. At least, I don't believe it is.

Roller skates are much harder to keep your balance with, because, first of all, they (or most of them it seems) have plastic wheels. Also, they are very easily tipped backwards and forwards since there are only 2 wheels on each side.

Inline skates (or roller blades), on the other hand, are not tipped so easily. Don't get me wrong. You can fall on roller blades, but they don't tip so easily. Also roller blades are, for the most part, made with rubber wheels.


I think ice skating is also pretty cool, although I've only been ice skating twice in my life: once for my birthday and once when my uncle, Mike, took us kids.

Uncle Mike's pretty cool. He's best uncle I've ever had. He just got married a short time ago to a lady named Cheryl. Well, I'm going to wrap this up, tie on a bow, and stick it right here. Lol just playing!



-Courtney-


No comments: