Jaime is working on reconstructing the blog. It's really in need of something more appealing, now that the template designer can be used. Expect it to look a little--errmmm--out of place and strange for a while!

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Black Belt Testing (Alexa, Emily, and Erin)

NOTE: This first part, although just now posted, was actually written on the 19th of December.


There's a Taekwondo testing going on tomorrow. Emily and Erin (both girls), the twins, will be testing for their black belts. Alexa will also be testing for her black belt. Emily and Erin are somewhere around 15 and 16. Alexa, judging by her height, is probably around 13 or 14. I'm going to help out. I'll probably mostly be partnered with Alexa for grappling, free sparring, 3 steps, etc. Judging by how long it took for my black belt testing, I'd say it'll probably go from 1 o'clock to 3 or 4 o'clock. That'd be from 2-3 hours. That's the only thing I'm dreading. I'll let you know how it goes when I get back.


Ok here's how it went. In the very beginning, Mr Simpson, the Taekwondo instructor, lined everybody up and introduced all of us black belts; besides me, there were about 10 other black belts. Most of whom had tested for their black belts around the same time I did, July. After that, the testing began. They went through a few warm up stuff first. After that they did paddles, which is where you do these certain memorized moves on the kicking paddles. I (and everyone else who was there), then watched all three girls do their forms for 30 minutes to possibly and hour. (A form is basically a series of kicks, punches, and blocks put together in a certain order. The girls each had about 11 of these to memorize for their testing.) Everyone did great on these.

After that they went into self defense and other things. There were about 20 different self defense moves the girls had to go through, but it didn't take half as long as those forms took. I got called in to do the boxing drill with Alexa for a few minutes. Pretty soon they went through 3 steps. I, again, went with Alexa. (3 steps are where 1 person acts as the attacker and throws some stuff at the other person who has to try to deflect the blows or step out of the way and throw some kicks, punches, etc back at them.)

Pretty soon they went through grappling. Alexa went with someone else for this part. Then there was also free sparring. I free sparred with Alexa here. I love free sparring! (Free sparring is similar to sparring, but you don't actually hurt each other.) The testing finally ended, and the girls were each rewarded for their efforts with a black belt, some punching gloves, grappling shorts, a sword, and a framed certificate. They were awesome! They were going to have a celebration afterward, but Mom, Mommom (my Grandmother), and I were so tired by this time that we were ready to leave. Before we left, however, I congratulated Emily, Erin, and Alexa. Finally, at 4 o'clock, we drove off, headed home. It had been a loooooooong day. Well, that's about it.

PS: Mommom kept dozing off in the middle of it, but she never missed a clap. LOL.


-Courtney-

No comments: